Orakei Marae
On Monday, I was honored to be included on a field trip to the Orakei marae. It was an amazing experience in many ways (I learned how to sing a waiata (a stylized, poetic chant) in Maori, was greeted with hongi (a sharing of life breath - you press noses together, but you don't rub), and was able to see some traditional weaving being done (wall hangings that will grace the walls of the marae). The carving on the stern of the war canoe (rowed by 120 warriors!) and in the marae is exquisite. However, I am most impressed by the spiritualness of the marae.
Before you may enter a marae, you must be welcomed. As we entered the grounds in front of the whare whakairo, a woman began to sing. I got goosebumps and tears in my eyes. As she continued to sing I found myself choking back sobs. I truly can only explain this as a spiritual epiphany. I just felt incredibly moved. It's beyond words really. After we removed our shoes and entered the whare whakairo, the woman explained that only women can sing the welcoming song: Only women's voices can reach the 12th level of Heaven and call our ancestors to join us. Spirituality, hospitality, and ancestors are three of the values that are of utmost importance to the Maori. It was indescribably special to be in the whare whakairo together - Maori and pakeha (non-Maori) and all of our ancestors. I can't describe it other than to say that I felt beauty, peace, and love to the extent that I cried in public more than once. Apparently, this happens sometimes. I'm glad that it happened to me. I will always remember the Orakei marae.
Speaking of hospitality - thank you all for your comments - it feels like home when I read them :-)
It is my and David's anniversary today :-) After I got home from school, I found a large, very beautiful bouquet of roses that David had ordered for special delivery :-)
Love from NZ

1 Comments:
Teej,
LOVE the blog posts; wish I was there also, but feel like I am.
When you get back, I'm going to loan you a book called "The Roads of Heaven" by Melissa Scott. Your post about women's voices only able to reach the 12th of heaven is totally reflected in this book. It's about the future and humans have travelled space but lost their way to Earth. A female starship pilot is trying to find their way back and they use spaceships powered by music and they travel the galaxy by reaching 12ths of heaven!! I think I know now where the idea came from!! It's a moving book, and your entry really resonated.
Keep eating and having a great time.
Love ya,
Michael
Post a Comment
<< Home