Horses and hostels and sleeping bags, oh my!
I just thought that this would be a good title, especially since I have lately been researching the costs of horse treks and hostels. I have also been considering purchasing a sleeping bag (I'll need one for a horse trek and it will save me money in the hostels). I almost purchased a down sleeping bag at a closeout sale price online. Thank goodness I stopped by Whole Earth Provision first!
There are two things shopping online can't give you: 1) supporting your community by shopping locally, and 2) interactive advice. I learned from Matteo (at Whole Earth) the pros and cons of down versus the new synthetics, as well as what the degree rating of sleeping bags REALLY means (i.e., you're in a tent, on a pad, wearing long underwear and a hat. I had previously interpreted the degree rating at its face value: I could be naked in a sleeping bag on the ground and be warm as long as it was 32 degrees or warmer). I also learned that you're not supposed to compress your down items any smaller that the original stuff sack they come with. Hmmm. I'll give you all a gear update after the post-Christmas sales events.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home