In just 23 years...
I've wanted to visit NZ since I was 10-years-old. I was (mistakenly) informed at that time that Granny Smith apples (my favorite) originated in NZ (actually, they originated in Australia). However, I think the best Granny Smith apples come from NZ. Also, I love kiwis (the fruit. I can't wait to meet the people!)
Tammy made me promise to do a blog while I was in NZ. I did not know what a blog was (apparently, I just missed GenX). Anyway, I have since figured it out, and thought I would practice a little. Also, I'm VERY excited about my upcoming teaching-abroad experience (this is my first study abroad as well as my first solo travel), and now I have an outlet and a family/friend torture method. Apparently blogs are multi-function tools.
Major preparations have thus far included: Purchasing a backpack and hiking boots.
I was introduced to the Luna backpack (manufactured by Osprey) at Whole Earth Provisions, the BEST provision company in the world, I kid you not. I found a used Luna 90 (as in 90 liter - read HUGE pack) on eBay (I highly recommend buying anything from dugkim on eBay!) Osprey has a lifetime guarantee on the pack (repair or replace if it's a pack problem; repair for a reasonable fee if the problem is the user's fault).
Osprey is serious: My used pack had a bit of damage, so I sent it in for repair (and an upgrade to one of their new bioform hip belts, which molds to your body in a kind of Birkenstockesque way), and Osprey sent me a brand-new pack. Seriously. The only other lifetime warranties I've dealt with have required that: a) I must be the original owner, and b) I must have the original receipt (you must be kidding). Needless to say, I am a lifetime Osprey customer!!! I've included a link here, as I suggest the ONLY backpacks you buy are Osprey packs.
http://www.ospreypacks.com
Besides their awesome warranty, Osprey packs are excellent! I will be sure to demonstrate mine next time I see you (no, you don't have a choice.) I will not bore you with too many details (the pack's color is 'eggplant') as you can visit the website (before you are forced to go detail-by-detail over my pack with me), but here's a sample:
Osprey packs have titanium suspensions that allow you to shift up to 60% of the pack's weight onto your hips (my back says "thank you!") Anyway, this pack is soooooo comfortable, even with close to 30 pounds of weight in it. The pack has a detachable fanny pack that serves as a water reservoir when it's on the main pack. There is also a detachable day pack and a safety whistle! Being Safety Girl, you know I love having water and a whistle while in the woods ;-) I will most likely be teaching language arts in NZ, so you'll have to bear with bits of onomatopoeia, etc.
Shopping for my hiking boots was an even better customer service experience than purchasing my pack ("Is this possible?!" you ask, read on!) I went to Whole Earth Provision because it is a cool store with top rate customer service (trust me, I worked retail for nine years.) I made an appointment to get fitted for hiking boots (I could hardly believe this, my feet haven't been fitted for shoes since I was 4-years-old and Mom took me to Buster Brown.)
Anyway, I came back for my appointment, and Wes (one of the two shoe-fitting gurus) spent two-hours custom-fitting boots to my feet. This included eight measurements (sitting and standing), plus checks for foot volume, how much tissue was padding my heel, and checks of my arches, toes, etc. He also took an inventory of my feet: Temperature, amount of sweat, circulation, ankle health, other health conditions, etc. I also got a mini-anatomy course on feet, complete with a demonstration on an anatomically correct skeletal model of the foot!
Once we decided on an appropriate boot (Montrails), and socks (SmartWool), Wes set me up with custom inserts, trained me on different lacing techniques, and had me walk around the store (including a simulated hillside). Then, he custom-stretched my boots by hand. I have been wearing these boots and have had not developed a single blister or rub ever! You ask, "but you must've paid a fortune for this?" Nope. List price ($150) for the Montrails. The rest is just the has-to-be-experienced-to-be-believed spectacular customer service at Whole Earth (the Westgate location). Believe me now?
Just in case you don't, I have shopped there multiple times, and I've ALWAYS had customer service like this. I'll give you another example, just one more, I promise...
I went to Whole Earth Provision with my NEW Osprey pack, as the manufacturer suggests getting your pack professionally fitted. (Whole Earth sells Osprey packs. I recommend buying a new Osprey pack as opposed to buying a used one. This way, the pack's bioform harness will custom form to your body. I just lucked out in my naivete and ended up with a new pack.)
Zac (backpack specialist - Whole Earth has people who know what they're doing working in each section), removed the metal stays and custom fit them to my back, and then spent two hours showing me how to adjust the pack, use all of the pack's equipment, and correctly load the pack by distributing the content's weight in such a way so as to not kill myself. Anyway, (and again needless to say) I am shopping for ALL of my provisions at Whole Earth for the rest of my life!!! You will want to, too, so here is their website:
http://www.wholeearthprovision.com

2 Comments:
Hi, T.J.,
Congratulations for the excellent job with this blog! Thank you for sharing your experience so far. Hope everything works well. Best luck!
Daniela.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home