Monday, April 11, 2005

Teaching in NZ

A couple friends have mentioned they'd like to hear more about my teaching in NZ, so here goes:

The kids are wonderful, as they are most places - if they're rough, it's because they've had unimaginably rough lives - find something lovable in them (they all are lovable, it may take you a few weeks to identify something you can truly appreciate) and they will respond positively to you. Give what you want back - if you don't like them genuinely, they will not like you and your days will be filled with battles.

The students definitely keep me on my toes. Selwyn is the most diverse school I've experienced, and it's one of the most diverse schools in New Zealand as well. In my classes, I have students who are refugees from places like Afghanistan and Kosovo as well as students who are the children of Members of Parliament (MPs) - like our Senators.

Similar to the U.S., public schools here, including Selwyn, deal with: Classes that have remarkable ranges of ability among students; students for whom English is a second language; and students and families from a broad range of socioeconomic statuses.

There are differences, too. Teachers must be more engaging as the only academic credits awarded are national (external assessment) credits. As you might imagine, it can be trying to get homework returned. On the plus side, teachers enjoy much greater academic freedom: I have taught a unit on world religions and I have read aloud from a book containing several curse words, including the "f" word as well as scenes describing explicitly adult relations. The text was In My Father's Den, an incredible novel by famous NZ author Maurice Gee. It has also been adapted into a very different but equally incredible film.

Litigation is not rampant here the way that it is in the U.S. (hence all of the adventure activities). Culturally, NZ is less puritanical than the U.S., providing a more university-like feel to the academics at the college (secondary) level.

The faculty, as I've previously mentioned, are fantastic. In general, they are incredibly bright, extremely well-versed in their content areas, and wonderfully enthusiastic and generous. The staff is almost as multicultural as the students. I've met staff from Canada, China, Denmark, Fiji, France, India, Iraq, Malaysia, Nigeria, Pakistan, Samoa, the U.K., the U.S., and of course New Zealand.

You don't have to avoid the staff lounge here, because in the 2 months that I've been here, I've never heard any staff sitting around talking trash about students or other staff (note to student teachers: Don't gossip, it will only make you look bad and feel worse about whatever situation you're blasting. Focus on what YOU can do to shift the situation, whether or not it's your fault. You'll have more fun and you'll become a more reflective teacher). I think one major factor for the postive attitudes across Selwyn is the Senior Management Team (SMT) led by co-principals Carol and Paul and deputy principal Bill.

Selwyn's co-principalship is truly collaborative. Additionally, the principals include staff in the decision-making process, striving for unanimity. Proposed changes are brought up at one of the three 10-minute meetings each week (they really know how to run short, effective meetings here!) If there's consensus or at least a strong majority (dissenters are encouraged to speak up and bring alternative solutions to the attention of the principals in person or via memo), the proposed action will move forward. Otherwise, pros and cons will be discussed and another vote taken. If necessary, the issue will be tabled until the next meeting for further discussion and a re-vote. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to implement something (and the principals retain the right to go forward with something whether or not there is staff agreement), but most new proposals are implemented successfully and with staff support!

My days here are more similar than different to my days teaching in the States, but there are a few differences. First, classroom managment is relatively lax, and that has taken some getting used to. Classes are much harder won here, but this may be due to the age difference (5th vs. 8th-12th grade) versus a cultural difference. However, I should note that other than the typical high school sneaking of cigarettes and skipping the odd class, not a lot else happens. There's a bit of graffiti, but there's not the risk of violence that we seem to face at some schools in the States. For example, I haven't seen a fist fight in the time I've been here, and guns are illegal in NZ, so shootings of any kind are almost unheard of here.

Second, we have tea everyday! It really makes the day go by quickly to have morning tea (or coffee) with crackers (butter and Marmite optional) and bikkies (biscuits, read cookies)!

Well, that's it for now. Please let me know if you have any questions (leave them in the comments section), and I will respond when able.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home