Midterms have passed, finals are on their way
This post is really for the next round of Texas teacher trainees who will be coming to NZ. I have a couple more "helpful" hints for you all. First, I'd like to stress that although I travel every weekend, it is NOT at the expense of my teacher training. I NEVER leave early, I have never called in sick or late, and I have never asked for a day off. I use my planning periods wisely, and I do all of my preparation during the week, with my potential weekend plans as my reward if I'm adequately prepared for the following week's classes. I did most of my travel planning at home over the break preceding my student teaching semester. I write more about my weekend travel experiences as this is probably more exciting for my family to read about compared to my 40-hour work week (although sometimes this is pretty exciting as well!)
Second, here's my best piece of advice: Have a good attitude and you will learn a lot, it just may not be in the way you expected. Try to look at differences as differences instead of "stupid," or "worse than the way I'm used to doing it." For example, I walk 30 minutes each way to school. I could feel this is a hardship, but instead I've chosen to look at it as great training for hiking on the weekends. I've been placed in a couple of classes with students who are older than the 8th grade equivalent (I'm getting certified for 4-8 grades). I could look at this as a waste of my time, but I've chosen to look at it as an opportunity to gain valuable skills working with older students, and believe me, I have learned A LOT!
The teachers here are fabulous - break away from the people you know and introduce yourself to others no matter how uncomfortable you feel - it's worth it! I've made many friends, and I've been introduced to a lot of NZ through them. They're very generous and have shared information (best places to go, eat, etc.), coupons, and Kiwiana (like Texana). I've have been to several friends' homes for dinner, and I've attended great Kiwi cultural events and festivals.
I've learned a lot of new things about classroom management (it is a bit different down here), and I'm bringing home loads of excellent resources.
Anyway, whatever happens, make the most of it - you're only going to do your teacher training here once. Be flexible, keep positive, and stay and travel afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!
This has been one of the best experiences of my lifetime, and I hope it is for you, too.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home